Thanksgiving planning would not be complete without a green bean casserole. This Cheesy Green Bean Casserole is a must-have in our house! No condensed cream of soup and full of cheesy and creamy flavor!
Aside from being deliciously and made from scratch. I love this Cheesy Green Bean Casserole because it has no mushrooms. I am not a fan of mushrooms from their texture to the taste. This recipe will please both the mushroom hater to the mushroom lovers, for this green bean casserole is perfectly delicious in its own right!
I personally like using canned green beans, but you certainly use fresh green beans.
Cheesy Green Bean Casserole
- 3 T butter
- 2 T all-purpose flour
- 1 t kosher salt
- 1/4 t ground black pepper
- 1 t granulated sugar
- 1/4 of a small onion small diced (2 to 3 tablespoons)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 14.5 oz canned green beans drained
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 1 2.8 oz package French's crispy fried onions
- Grease an 8x10 baking dish. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place a large pot over medium heat. Add the butter. Once melted, add the flour, salt, pepper, and sugar. Stir with a whisk until the mixture is smooth (around 2-3 minutes). Add the chopped onions and cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add the sour cream. Stir with a whisk until completely mixed in. Remove from heat.
- Add the green beans and 1 cup of the cheese. Gently stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese over the top. Spread the crispy fried onions over the layer of cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cooked through and the top is golden.