This is not your ordinary biscuit recipe. These easy to make biscuits include cornmeal and cheese. Buttery and cheesy drop cornmeal biscuits that make the perfect addition to a hot bowl of soup or chili!
When we want some sort of bread with soup or chili, I make these Cheesy Corneal Biscuits! The cornmeal gives these biscuits a nice texture, making these a great savory biscuit!
These biscuits are buttery and delicate! However, they can go dry real quick in the oven. As soon as these biscuits turn golden, remove from the oven right away, so you will not end up with a crumbly and dry biscuit.
Cheesy Cornmeal Biscuits
Buttery and cheesy drop cornmeal biscuits that make the perfect addition to a hot bowl of soup or chili!
Servings: 6 -8
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 t baking powder
- 1 t white sugar
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 3/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 1 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Stir to incorporate. Cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly. (Use a pastry cutter or fork to avoid melting the butter with your hands.) Add 1/2 cup of the cheese and the milk. Stir until combined and moistened.
- Drop the dough by 1/4 cups and 2 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle the remaining grated cheese over the top of each biscuit.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until light golden brown. (Do not overbake these biscuits. They can turn from moist and delicate to dry and crumbly real fast.)
- Serve warm!
Recipe Source: Our Best Bites