Dump Cake. That is an interesting name for a dessert. However, it is a fitting name. You just “dump” the ingredients in the baking dish and bake until done. I have enjoyed quite a few dump cakes over the years, but I recently discover this Apple Caramel Dump Cake. It is absolutely delicious!
Dump cakes are not the fanciest of desserts, but flavors always win over fancy in my book. The spiced apples, caramel, cake & butter make for perfect cake in itself. The vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce send this dessert over the top.
If you need a last minute Thanksgiving dessert, this Caramel Apple Dump Cake would be a crowd pleaser!
Caramel Apple Dump Cake
- 2 21 oz cans apple pie filling
- 2 t ground cinnamon
- 1 t ground nutmeg
- 1 11 oz package caramel bits
- 1 15.25 oz box yellow cake mix
- 3/4 cup 1 1/2 sticks butter, cut into thin slices
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Caramel Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13 x 9 baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, thoroughly combine the apple pie filling, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and smooth the top.
- Evenly sprinkle the caramel bits over the apple pie filing mixture.
- Pour the yellow cake mix straight from the box over the caramel bits layer. Evenly smooth the cake mix layer.
- Layer the butter slices evenly over the top of the cake mix layer.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes or until the the edges are bubbly and the top is golden brown.
- Serve in individual bowls with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce on top.