This is not just a recipe with rice & kale! This recipe is filled so much flavor! Brown Rice with Kale is infused with butter, garlic, Parmesan cheese & toasted almonds! This side dish just might compete with the main dish on your plate!
We eat plenty of rice at our house. It’s filling and fits the bill for plenty of recipes, but rice can get boring. This recipe is definitely not the humdrum side to fill an empty spot on your plate. Brown rice is combined with a generous helping of kale sautéed in butter and garlic. Parmesan cheese and buttery toasted almonds ensure extra flavor texture!
When it comes to kale, be sure to remove the leaves from the middle stalk. After that task, all you need to do is roughly chop the leaves to bite size You can substitute fresh spinach, but the spinach will wilt down considerably. Fresh kale has a firmer texture that works well with the rice.
Brown Rice with Kale
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 4 tbsp butter, divided
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups chopped kale leaves
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese more for topping
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Add the brown rice and vegetable broth to a medium pot. Stir and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat to medium and keep at a simmer. Cover & cook until rice is tender and broth has absorbed, approximately 20-25 minutes. Removed from heat. Keep covered & set aside.
- While the rice is cooking, melt 1 tablespoon butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced almonds. Sauté the almonds while moving the almonds often. Once the almonds are golden brown, remove from heat & set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add the garlic cloves & sauté for 1 minute of until fragrant. Add the kale and continue to sauté until the kales wilts down & is bright green. Around 3 to 5 minutes. season with salt & pepper.
- Add the cooked rice to the skillet of garlic and kale. Stir to combine and heat through. Add the parmesan cheese and almonds. Stir to combine. Add more salt & pepper if desired. Remove from heat.
- Ready to serve? Enjoy with more grated parmesan cheese if desired.
Love the idea of Parmesan cheese. A must try recipe.