When I was a kid, I loved those little muffin mixes in the bag that you just added water or milk, stir, pour into the muffin tin, and just a short time later I was eating my sweet muffins! The blueberry mix was my favorite! As much as I enjoyed those days, I have learned to appreciate bakery style homemade muffins. These Bakery Style Lemon Blueberry Muffins are the grown up way that I like to enjoy my favorite blueberry muffins.
These Bakery Style Lemon Blueberry Muffins are tender jumbo size muffins filled with blueberries and lemon zest and then topped with a sweet and buttery streusel topping.
If you want to treat your family with a special weekend breakfast these muffins will be perfect!
Bakery Style Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 T baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/2 salt
- 1 1/2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 8 T unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1 t grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries fresh or frozen
- Streusel Topping
- 6 T all-purpose flour
- 2 T packed light brown sugar
- 8 t granulated sugar
- 4 T unsalted butter cut into 1/2" pieces and softened
- 1/8 t salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Generously grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, butter, and salt. Using a pastry cutter or fork, blend the mixture until it resembles course sand. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the yogurt and eggs together until smooth. Add the lemon zest to the mixture and stir.
- Add the blueberries to the bowl of the flour mixture and gently stir with a spatula.
- Gently fold in the yogurt mixture to the large bowl of the flour mixture until just combined. Fold in the melted butter until just combined (do not overmix).
- Divide the batter evenly into each muffin cup. Fill the batter to the top of each tin.
- Sprinkle the streusel over the tops and press lightly so the streusel will adhere.
- Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (rotating muffin tin halfway through baking).
- Allow the muffins to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool for 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
This is such a fresh and delicious recipe! It made 16 huge, fluffy muffins for me. I couldn’t make the streusel. and I wanted to enhance the lemon flavor so for the second batch (the 4 extra muffins) I added more lemon zest, squeezed some lemon juice into the batter, and added more sugar. I also ended up sprinkling some brown sugar on the tops of the muffins before baking them and a little bit of lemon zest on the tops after they came out of the oven. I think this helped to compensate for not being abel to make the sweet streusel. Thank you, Dayna for the recipe and I will definitely be making these again!!
I am so happy you enjoyed them! I love your idea to use more lemon juice and zest. The brown sugar on top sounds like a perfect choice!
Great recipe! A few changes I made – added more zest and a little squeeze of juice because I love a tart taste of lemon, and some almond and vanilla extract. The muffins were not too sweet, which was perfect in my opinion. The batter was very thick, more scoopable than pourable for me, and made 15 very large muffins with a beautiful muffin top. Loved it!
Thank you for the kind words. I love that you added more lemon juice and zest along with the extracts!
Amanda Fink says
Thank you so much for replying to my email when the comment section was missing.. After your response I checked my baking powder and sure enough it was expired a year ago, I had no idea.. I will pick up some fresh baking powder and hopefully get some fluffy muffins next time. Other than the denseness this recipe was delicious! My husband still loved them so I know he’ll love them even more when I make more with the fresh baking powder. I am also going to try adding the lemon juice and extracts as others did because my husband loves strong lemon flavor. Great recipe! 🙂
Thank you for writing back! Your muffins should definitely turn out more fluffy next time. I am really happy that your husband enjoyed the muffins too! The stronger lemon flavor will make the muffins even better! ??