It is that time of year now where apples and cinnamon make a welcome appearance in our household. Fall has arrived! It may not be officially autumn, but come September it is time to celebrate the flavors of fall. In this case I love to make baked oatmeals. This Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal is one of my favorites.
Baked oatmeals are delicious, but they are also convenient. We love eating this Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal fresh out of the oven, but leftovers are perfect for the following mornings.
I found the recipe over at Two Peas and Their Pod, and ever since, we have been enjoying this baked oatmeal when the fall season has arrived.
Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 1/2 t cinnamon
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk skim, 2% or whole
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 T melted butter
- 2 egg whites
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 large Granny Smith apple peeled, cored and diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.
- In a separated bowl, whisk together the milk, applesauce, butter, egg whites and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients. Stir until combined. Add the diced apple to the mixture, and gently stir.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes (my oven takes 30 min), or until the oatmeal is golden and set. Remove from oven. Cut into squares and serve warm.