Lentil & Spinach Soup (Slow Cooker Style)
A delicious, nutritious and filling soup with the optional but strongly recommended kick of spice!
Servings: 6 -8
- 2 cups dried green lentils sorted & rinsed
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 2 stalks celery small diced
- 4 medium carrots small diced
- 1 medium onion small diced
- 1 shallot small diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 14- oz can fire roasted petite diced tomatoes
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1/2 t dried thyme
- 1 t ground cumin
- 1/2 t smoked paprika
- 1/4 t cayenne pepper or to taste
- 1/2 t ground black pepper
- 2 t kosher salt
- 9 oz-bag fresh spinach roughly chopped
- 1 T red wine vinegar
In a 6 quart or larger slow cooker, add all of the ingredients except for the spinach and red wine vinegar. Stir and cover. Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours. About 15 minutes before the soup is finished cooking, remove the bay leaf. Add the spinach and red wine vinegar. Stir and allow just enough time for the spinach to wilt (about 10 to 15 minutes).
Serve with more ground black pepper or grated parmesan cheese.