There is no other way I know how to describe this soup but as sheer soothing! Sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, and jalapenos are blended together to create a smooth and soothing soup! The jalapenos are optional but oh so necessary in my
While trying different variations for this recipe, I was also thinking of the name of this soup. Several names crossed my name, but what always came back to me was how soothing this soup is for me, so I gave the simple name of Soothing Soup.
I recommend using an immersion blender for blending this soup. You don’t have to remove the piping hot mixture in batches to a separate blender just to return the mixture back to the pot. Using an immersion blender allows you to blend everything right in the pot! I prefer simplicity and convenience as long as it will not sacrifice quality!
Adding coconut milk to the blended veggies adds a creamy and luscious layer to this already dreamy soup! I love to swirl in a little coconut milk
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled & diced
- 3 large carrots, peeled & diced
- 4 large celery stalks, diced
- 1 large yellow or white onion, diced
- 2 jalapenos, diced (remove seeds & membranes if you want less heat)
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk, plus more if desired when serving
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Topping: fresh parsley
- Add the sweet potato, carrots, celery, onion, jalapenos, and vegetable broth in a large pot over medium-high heat. Once the mixture has reached a simmer, lower the heat to medium-low, cover, and continue to simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes and carrots are tender. In the last 5 minutes of simmering, add the garlic.
- Remove from heat. Using an immersion blender, carefully blend until smooth. Alternatively, you can blend in a blender in small batches, but you will need to return the mixture to the pot.
- Return the blended soup to the stovetop over medium heat. Add the coconut milk and stir to incorporate. Add salt & pepper to your taste. Once the mixture is heated through, about 5 minutes, remove from heat.
- Serve as is or add some more coconut milk for a pretty swirl and fresh parsley.