Blueberries are in season and there are so many ways to enjoy these superfood berries! I have enjoyed blueberries in smoothies, smoothies, and more smoothies. I finally wanted to make a dessert with the abundance of blueberries. So, I made a cobbler, but not just any cobbler, a Brown Butter Blueberry Cobbler. A 4-ingredient blueberry cobbler with a rich brown butter streusel topping!
I am fortunate to have access to an abundance of fresh blueberries. My parents have blueberry bushes galore. They have been so generous to give us gallons of blueberries. Thank you Mom & Dad! 🙂 These fresh blueberries made it into this delicious cobbler. If you do not have access to fresh blueberries, frozen blueberries will work perfectly in this cobbler.
The extra step in browning the butter is such a worthwhile step. The butter intensifies and makes the cake streusel topping even richer and decadent! The ingenious idea of brown butter in this recipe is from Amanda over at Kevin and Amanda.
The brown better cake topping makes this cobbler over the top amazing, but I highly recommend adding a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Brown Butter Blueberry Cobbler
- 4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 15.25 oz box yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup 1 stick salted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9x11 baking dish, or similar size.
- Place the butter in a small heavy-bottomed saucepan. Melt over medium-high heat. The butter will start to boil and foam. Immediately start to whisking the butter until the foam starts to settle and the butter turns brown with brown flakes on the bottom. (Be sure not to leave the butter unattended during the browning process. It can burn real fast.) Remove the brown butter from the heat.
- Add the brown butter to a large bowl and stir in the cake mix. Stir until incorporated and crumbly.
- In a large bowl, gently toss the blueberries with the sugar. Pour the blueberries into the prepared baking dish.
- Add the brown butter cake mixture over the top of the blueberries by placing crumbles of the mixture evenly over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream!